Researchers are encouraged to search the online catalog or contact the library staff to determine if the Institute holds material relevant to their research interests.
Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., by appointment.
Rare material will be paged between 10 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
To schedule an appointment, email us at email@example.com or call 202.785.2040 x424. Appointments are available on a first-come, first-served basis. We accommodate as many researchers as possible, but space is limited. Please request an appointment as far in advance as possible.
The library is located at Anderson House, 2118 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC 20008.
Preparing for Your Visit
The online catalog is the primary tool for discovering the library’s holdings.
Finding aids for manuscript and archival collections are available through the library’s Digital Library.
- New researchers are required to complete a Reader Registration Card and show a valid government ID. Returning researchers do not need to register again but will be asked to show their registered ID.
- Laptops, notepads and digital cameras are welcome in the Reading Room. All other belongings will be checked at the reference desk.
- Pencils only.
- Food and drink are not permitted in the Reading Room.
- Researchers may use a personal camera to take reference photographs for their personal use. See guidelines for more information.
- Photocopies and/or digital scans will be made by library staff on a case-by-case basis, and if not already available in the Digital Library.
- Researchers may request professional photography for publication. See our Rights and Reproductions Agreement.
- A microfilm workstation is available and allows researchers to create multi-page PDF files that can be saved to their own USB drives.