This pair of silver camp cups was owned by Anthony Walton White, an officer in the New Jersey Line and the Continental Light Dragoons during the Revolutionary War. The cups were made in Philadelphia about 1776 by silversmith Richard Humphreys, who made a similar set for George Washington during the war. Small and simple yet elegant, camp cups like these were commonly part of an officer’s equipment in the field, and were designed for serving strong spirits or wine and to be replenished often in social settings. Deputy Director and Curator Emily Parsons discusses the history and use of these cups, which were acquired for the Institute’s museum collections in December 2022.
Anthony Walton White’s Silver Camp Cups
December 29, 2022